Thursday, February 23, 2012

Akpabio makes waves at Ajax

By Ojeikere Aikhoje


Akpabio @ Gallo Images



Nigerian forward, George Akpabio, has gradually wormed his way into the hearts of Ajax CapeTown gaffer, Maarten Stekelenburg, and the fans of the "Urban Warriors."

Akpabio, who arrived South Africa, in January, told SuperSport.com that he's presently having a wonderful experience in the Premier Soccer League (PSL).

"I'm happy that things are going well here. Ajax is a nice club and I'm enjoying my time here," Akpabio said to SuperSport.com
Rejected by Nigeria's Under20 coach, John Obuh, as well as Norwegian clubs, Viking Stavanger and Lillestrom, last year, Akpabio, eventually headed for South Africa, and convinced Stekelenburg he's the right man to boost the club's attack when the PSL resumes.

Akpabio landed in South-Africa which a rich CV following his impressive performance for relegated Plateau United.

His 17-goal tally was not enough to make him the top scorer in the Nigeria Premier League, but it made him the third best in the league and the all-time leading goal scorer for Plateau United, the team that shares the famous Rwang Pam Stadium with Jos rivals, Mighty Jets and Juth.

His performance for Plateau United has earned him legendary status like Chelsea star, Mikel Obi, Sam Pam, who also played for Ajax and Moroka Swallows goalkeeper, Greg Etafia.

Stekelenburg handed the Nigerian forward a two-and-a-half-year and he's pleased that the Nigerian has justified the investment.

"“George slotted into the squad with ease. I like his attitude and work ethic at training. He is a quality player,” Stekelenburg told the club's website.

PSL debut

Interestingly, Akpabio debuted in style against Platinum Stars when the PSL resumed.

He came in as a substitute at a time his side was two goals down in front of their fans and gave his best to ensure Ajax recovered. At the end of the day, Ajax overpowered the visitors and won the match 3-2

The Nigerian forward continued from where he stopped against Stars and even got his first PSL goal in the next match at Maritzburg United, where Ajax won 2-0.

He was introduced in the second half again and got the opener for Ajax. Apart from his first PSL goal, Akpabio also handed teammate, Khama Billiat, an assist, for the second goal on match day.

"I want to do my best for the club. My ambition is to ensure Ajax win trophies. Everything is going well and the only work for me is to score goals.

"My ambition is to contribute my quota to the success of a big team like Ajax. I'm already used to the squad and ready for the challenge. My teammates have been wonderful," he stated.

Sunday's victory at Maritzburg moved Ajax to fourth on the log with 30 points, five behind leaders Mamelodi Sundowns.

Former Nigerian International and Sundowns legend, Chukwu Ndukwe, who has followed Akpabio's progress told SuperSport.com that Ajax is the right club to make him move into a top European side with ease.

"Ajax is a good club for him to continue his football development. The club has nice facilities and I believe he will learn more under European coaches," Ndukwe said to SuperSport.com.

Plateau United general Manager, Bitrus Bewarang, who doubles as head coach is equally happy with the player's progress at Ajax.

"We're happy that Akpabio is doing well at Ajax. In fact, the Plateau State government is excited with the development. I watched the match against Maritzburg, where he scored.

"It shows we have done a good job at Plateau United. I did everything possible to keep him so that his goals will keep us in the Premier League. He did his best for us," Bewarang told SuperSport.com.


Cape Derby


Perhaps, his biggest match in the PSL will be Saturday's Cape derby against Santos. It's a big match for all Capetonians as both sides battle for the bragging rights.

Asked about his expectation ahead of the derby, he said: 'I'm in the right mood. Fortunately for me, my first match for Ajax was in a friendly against Santos. "I've known a bit about the rivalry between Ajax and Santos, which makes it more interesting. It reminds me of the Jos derby against Jets or Juth"

"Wednesday's press conference was a new experience for me. Moreover, I spent time signing autographs for the fans which is something clubs don't do in Nigeria. I'm ready for the derby."

Another advantage is the fact that Akpabio has mastered the Cape Town Stadium, where both sides will do battle.

"It's a wonderful stadium. I'm thrilled to play at the stadium, which was used for the last World Cup," he said to SuperSport.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment